7.4.08

The Courage to Hear Voice of Change


I first voted in the 1999 Elections. I was 22. My designated polling station, Sekolah Menengah Bukit Bandaraya was a 3-minute drive from my parent's house in Bangsar. Although already an UMNO member, the events that unfolded in 1998 made me question the leadership of UMNO. Not the relevancy, but the leadership. I thought I had amassed enough courage to be the voice of change, through the ballot boxes. Somehow, that courage deserted me and I voted for Dato' Sharizat Jalil, the Barisan Nasional candidate. 

Fast forward to 2008. Married with a child, exposed to the mechanics of the real world, my youthful exuberance and lofty ideals are safely stored away (along with the party clothes pictures), I made my way to the same school to exercise my democratic duty. Much more involved in UMNO, this time there wasn't even a tinge of doubt. Barisan Nasional was the only choice for me. 

Before the tsunami officially came to Lembah Pantai, the signs were clear. The 10,000 Anwar rally in Pantai Dalam, the 5,000 Anwar rally in Brickfields, the fact that only a handful of Pemuda came to Dato' Sri Najib Tun Razak's address, the signs were clear. I consoled myself with the fact that the signs were clearer in 1999 - but we still won. However, as the moon slowly set on the 8th of March, it was evident that the voices of change rang loud in Lembah Pantai. To a tune of almost 3,000 votes. The youth of 2008 had the courage to make their voices heard. 

As a member of the Barisan Nasional, the defeat was excruciating.  Almost a month on, we are nowhere closer to finding the reasons for this defeat. The blame game has peaked and started a new cycle. The customary jostle for party position makes the headline of every newspaper, even with Anwar looming in the background. 

But UMNO must not forget that its first task is to remain relevant. The voices that demanded for change are that of our peers and children. Segments of Malays, especially the urban youth think that UMNO's struggle is no longer relevant. To me, that day can only come when we possess the ability to look in each other's eyes and say that we are on a level playing field. In areas of education, corporate equity, home ownership.  Until that day comes, I will still wear the red and white of UMNO. 

Despite what anybody say, I believe the first step is to stand behind the current leadership and make UMNO relevant again. Effect change that the voices of change can relate to. 

It's our time now. 





No comments: